Hello, neighbors! Shannon Denney here with your new copy of the New Orleans Daily, full of everything you need to know about what’s happening in town. Let’s dive right into it…
First, today’s weather forecast:
Cloudy, showers and a thunderstorm. High: 83 Low: 76.
Here are the top stories in New Orleans today:
- A man was found dead at the scene on Monday when police arrived at a residence in Broadmoor on General Taylor Street. The man has not yet been identified, but an investigation has begun to try to obtain details of a cause of death, which has been ruled a homicide. (WGNO New Orleans)
- Despite the utter disaster that the elderly faced when nursing home residents were evacuated to poor facilities last year during Hurricane Ida, it appears that more than a dozen nursing homes across NOLA are set to evacuate to locations that have failed state inspections. (Louisiana Weekly)
- A On Friday, a staff member at New Orleans Charter Math and Science High School tested positive for Monkeypox. The staff member arrived at the school last Monday but was evacuated from the school clinic when he began to have symptoms. The staff member tested positive later in the week and the school notified parents on Sunday. (WDSU New Orleans)
Today in New Orleans:
- Day of the week High Flow Yoga at the Hotel Pierre et Paul (7:00 a.m.)
- Free Hurricane Preparedness Workshop in Spanish (6:00 p.m.)
- Bounce Ya Brass Workout Class at Crescent Park (5:45 p.m.)
From my notebook:
- NOMA opened a new photography exhibition showcasing the work of Polo Silk, who is well known for his incredible career chronicling black life and culture in New Orleans. (Louisiana Weekly)
- The Regional Transport Authority rolls out a new application, Le Pass, which will help navigate buses, trams and the app itself. They’re having an open house at Duncan Plaza from 6-11am if you have any questions about the new system! (Regional Transport Authority via Facebook)
- OZ, Cafe’ Lafitte in Exile & Louisiana Department of Health are hosting a ‘vaxxtravaganza’ block party in preparation for Southern Decadence this Wednesday, August 24 from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. on Bourbon Street for the Monkeypox Vaccine. (New Orleans Department of Health via Facebook)
More from our sponsors – please support the local news!
Thanks for following and staying informed! See you soon.
— Shannon Deney
Do you have a news tip or a suggestion for an upcoming New Orleans Daily? Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org